Monday, June 22, 2009

Things this illness could be, but probably isn't...

M'kay. I've been sick for nearly a week now. So, instead of going to the doctor's office (where I would have to take my three month old daughter with me....to the germ infested waiting room...though I would obtain professional help), I went to the WebMD "symptom checker." Apparently, the illness could be very, very serious. I won't go through everything on the very extensive list, but I will hit the highlights. Just so we know what information we're operating with the symptoms are: headache, fever, nasal drainage and congestion and earache.

(1) Aseptic Meningitis: Meningitis is a potentially life-threatening infection of the meninges—the tough layer of tissue that surrounds the brain and the spinal cord. If not treated, meningitis can lead to brain swelling and cause further disability, including coma and even death.

*'Cuz its just not an illness unless it can cause coma and even death.

(2) Cryptococcosis: Cryptococcosis is caused by a fungus known as Cryptococcosis neoformans. The infection may be spread to humans through contact with pigeon droppings or unwashed raw fruit. Contact with an infected individual may also spread the infection.

*I just knew those pigeons would prove to be trouble. I won't touch a public water fountain, but I will willingly roll in pigeon crap. Just a bundle of contradictions, I am...

(3) A Foreign Body in my nose: The nose is a surprisingly deep space that extends directly back into your face. A relatively small portion of the nasal cavity is visible by looking into the tip of the nose. In the back of the nose, the space turns downward and connects to the back of the mouth.
Only the imagination limits the objects and circumstances that result in things getting stuck inside the nose. Common objects found in noses include food material, tissue paper, beads, toys, and rocks. Most cases of foreign bodies in the nose and nasal cavity are not serious and occur in toddlers and children from 1-8 years. Because children develop the ability to pick up objects at about the age of 9 months, this problem is much less common before then. An object that is simply stuck in the nose and not causing other symptoms can usually wait until morning or the following day for removal. The object does, however, have to be completely removed quickly and without discomfort and danger.

*I'm going to go out on a limb and say I didn't stick anything (nor had anything stuck) up my nose. I think I would have remembered...but then again....

(4) Myopia (nearsightedness): Nearsightedness (myopia) is a common cause of blurred vision. If you are nearsighted, objects in the distance appear blurry and out of focus. You might squint or frown when trying to see distant objects clearly.

*As I have been wearing glasses for this very condition since I was 11 years old, I'm going to say this is probably not the underlying cause of my present distress.

(5) Sunburn: too much sun or sun-equivalent exposure. Although seldom fatal, sunburn can be disabling and cause quite a bit of discomfort.

*Though I did visit the beach last weekend and am quite fond of the sun, unless its an invisible sunburn that causes nasal congestion, drainage down the back of my throat, headache and a fever, I'm going to rule this one out.


Though I find WebMd very useful, in this particular case I am going to go with my gut and guess its just a sinusy problem of some sort (which was also on the WebMD list of possibilities) and it will all work out without resulting in coma or death, but in case it does, I love you all. Lots.

Thank you WebMD.

No comments:

Post a Comment